Monday, January 23, 2006

GO VOTE!!!!!!!!!


I Weep for the Future

Saturday night as I returned home from a very chic dinner party populated by 40-something women in skin-tight cocktail dresses vying for the attention of a single 50-something millionaire; I decided to enjoy my youth and state of poverty and stay up for SNL.
The monologue was good, Peter Sarsgaard hosted - for those who don't know him, as I did not, he is the voice of the alien from American Dad, and the bad guy from Flightplan (co-starring the Sean Bean). But every skit was garbage. They did a semi-funny commercial for baby toupees and a tolerable montage for "Young Chuck Norris" but that was it.
I hope this is simply an effect of my progression in life. I remember my brothers and sisters recounting that their generation of SNL was the best with the likes of Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley. I cannot deny it. But they were appalled with my generation of Cheri Oteri, Will Farrel and Molly Shannon; to which I contend. Those years, while wholly unappreciated by most, gave us some unforgettable moments and I hold them dear to my heart. I went through those tumultuous teenage years with Mary Catherine Gallagher, Mango, the Roxbury Guys and the Spartans, and I'm very glad I did, it made me good people.
Even the intoduction of Jimmy Fallon, Maya Rudolph and Amy Poehler took some time, but they pulled through with some classics.
But I cannot condone the direction the show has now taken. The saving grace comes in the form of Fey, Poehler, Hammond, Parnell and Sanz. I just can't get a taste for these new guys. Seth Meyers - potential. Will Forte - not bad. But the rest have yet to prove themselves and the clock is ticking.
Perhaps it's my advanced years, but I find it difficult to stay up alone to watch SNL when the dissappointment ratio grows to depressing levels.
But I will not give up on SNL, not as long as I'm around ... and Lorne Michaels.

By the way.......GO VOTE!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

lakweesha said...

LIBERAL!!???...they are part of my axis of evil. But YOU make me laugh so you're alright.

lakweesha said...

By the by... Andy Samberg is a vain attempt to grab the young teenage girl demographic as was Jimmy Fallon. Unfortunately, I highly doubt the same outcome. You can't replace Jimmy and his Black Bear wife.

lakweesha said...

SNAP!!!

Anonymous said...

U didn't know who sarsgaard was?!?! Ohh my cindy..I am dissapointed!....hes only extremely remeniscent of john malkovich and a main character in garden state..the best movie ever...what am I to do with you?! lol..~cayla